Newnan Citizen Academy
The Newnan Citizen Academy is a 12-course program offered once a year that provides information and education to help foster informed and engaged residents, students, and business and property owners in the city of Newnan. Participants will get a behind-the-scenes look at how the city's government provides quality services to the community. Those who take part in the program will interact with leaders in their city government, visit city facilities and departments to get a first-hand look into how the city works, while building a network with others living, working, and learning in the City of Newnan.
Throughout the program, the following goals will be achieved by participants:
- Learn: To improve the participant's understanding of local government while learning more about community issues and concerns
- Get a first-hand look into how the city's services and programs are provided to citizens and residents in the city and local community
- Understand the essentials of what is needed to run the City of Newnan
- Explore: To improve the quality and understanding of the city's local government structure
- Participants can learn how they can be more involved in the City
- Participants have gone on to become volunteers, including serving on a city board, commission or committee, or even serving on the Newnan City Council.
- Engage: To improve the communication and relationship between residents, business owners, students, and their local government
- Participants will have the opportunity to connect with community leaders of all backgrounds
- Participants and city officials will have a chance to create relationships that foster enhanced communication.
Residents interested in participating in the academy must meet the following criteria:
- Must be 18 years or older and be a resident and/or business owner in the city of Newnan.
- Have an interest in learning about local, city government
- Attend at least 10 out of 12 sessions (a minimum of one excused absence is acceptable with advance communication).
- Participants are required to attend Orientation and Graduation.
For participants to receive the full experience from the Newnan Citizen Academy, participants are expected to attend all sessions. Participants can miss one session and graduate from the program. However, orientation and graduation are required.
How to Apply
- Registration for the 2021 Newnan Citizen Academy is closed. Registration for 2022 will be announced later next year!
Contact InformationFor more information about the Newnan Citizen Academy contact:
City of Newnan